One of my fondest food memories as a kid was something I believe my dad invented. It is the grapefruit slush. It is simple to create, but it still remains one of my favorite treats to whip up at night and sip while I watch television. Give me grapefruit anything: Halls vitamin C pink grapefruit lozenges, pink grapefruit gummy candies, Squirt soda, or even better soda, pink-grapefruit-flavored Fanta. I love them all. Sadly, the Fanta, which is right up at the top in my list, is not available in the United States. It is something I enjoyed while I served a two-year LDS mission in Slovenia, but grapefruit may quite possibly be my favorite fruit, and I love the grapefruit slush above all.
To make it:
Juice four grapefruit. This should make about two cups of juice, but it doesn't have to be precise.
Pour the juice into a blender, add 2/3 a cup of sugar, two cap-fulls of vanilla, and top off with ice. On my blender the ice goes up to about the six cup line.
Blend until you get a smooth slushy texture. Personally, as a kid and now, I always find about the biggest glass I have and fill it. I prefer eating it with a long spoon, but my wife drinks it through a straw. This picture just has a plastic spoon I saved from getting a Blizzard at Dairy Queen or something, but I really ought to buy some spoons specifically for the grapefruit slush to honor them for their greatness. There is enough slush for another generous sized glass, but if I am making it for my kids I have to make another batch.
Enjoy, but try not to eat it too quickly or you will be sure to get brain freeze.

They are oh so refreshing! I love grapefruit slushies!!! I never knew about the addition of vanilla though...I will have to try that. Citrus is hard to come by in Okliehoma. If you like grapefruit flavor, you will have to try the Airborne Pink Grapefruit flavor. :)
ReplyDeleteIt sounds DELICIOUS! I am going to have to give them a try! Thanks for the recipe.
ReplyDeleteYou'll have to let me know what you think. They truly are the best!
ReplyDelete