Monday, October 17, 2011

TrollHunter: Documentary???


Several times in previous posts I have mentioned that I am a fan of documentaries.  There are always a handful of documentaries in my sights, and because they usually have a limited theater release I wait for them to come out on DVD or preferably Netflix Instant Watching.  I usually find out about documentaries from my weekly movie podcast Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo’s Film Reviews.  A few weeks ago, they chose a documentary that sounded interesting called TrollHunter for their movie of the week.

I have never watched a Norwegian movie before, and I don’t know if I shall ever watch a Norwegian movie again, but TrollHunter definitely didn’t discourage me.  The opening scripting says it all, “On October 13, 2008, Filmkamertene AS received an anonymous package with two hard disks containing 283 minutes of filmed material. This film is a rough-cut version of that material. Everything is shown in chronological order and no images have been manipulated.”  To me, that sounds interesting attached to a film called TrollHunter.  The film follows three students who are trying to investigate an alleged bear poacher in Norway; however, the man they are seeking is not poaching bears.

So do trolls really exist?  That’s the question I kept going back to as I watched the footage that was not only compelling but believable.  The troll hunter also seemed genuine.  TrollHunter is available to watch instantly on Netflix so all I can say is, check it out.  Behind the subtitles and the beautiful Norwegian scenery, you may just tell yourself, there is no way that trolls exist.  You’ll never know unless you watch it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment