Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Adventures of Tintin: Indiana Jones 5???

About a month ago now, I went to see The Adventures of Tintin with my wife and kids.  It was a rare occasion that the lot of us went, but I had some movie passes, and I had been wanting to see this film.  First, I am not a fan of the source material.  It's not that I wouldn't be a fan, but I have just never read the books so I came into this movie with a clean slate.  I have however, heard some negative criticism from fans of the books.  With that in mind, I really liked it.  It was a fun action packed adventure from start to finish.  I like to describe it as the Indiana Jones movie that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull should have, could have been.  The animation was gorgeous, and there was a fantastical Rube Goldberg like chase sequence in the film that was full of eye popping effects, close calls, fast paced humor, and a tank reminiscent of the one James Bond used to escape the Russians in Goldeneye.  

What I don't understand is why it was a relative bomb in the box office domestically.  It wasn't a masterpiece by any means, but it was a way better movie than most of the big action/adventure blockbusters that plague movie theaters all too often and make enormous sums of money (Transformers, Pirates of the Carribean with the exception of the first, etc).  For an animated movie, it was tougher than all of the animated Disney movies, but that's a lot of what I enjoyed.  Tintin wasn't afraid to shoot a gun at baddies, but it was by no means violent.  It had a similar feel tonally to some of the PG Miyazaki films, [Porco Rosso, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle], and I love those.  My only hope is that it made enough money worldwide that Peter Jackson will still be on to direct the planned second installment.  If you didn't catch The Adventures in Tintin in theaters, it is definitely worth renting, and I personally will make an effort to own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment